Friday, January 28, 2011

Babies Love Wegman's!

The one daily chore that has taken on new significance since baby entered our lives is grocery shopping.  No one likes to do this necessary evil (it's a step above the laudrymat), but we all must in order to survive.  With baby in tow, the job just got that much harder. Not only do you have a stroller taking up your trunk space where the groceries used to fit, but now you must make two trips from car to house unless your baby is somehow carrying the groceries for you.  I don't know about you, but I would balance a bag on my head if it meant getting everything inside in one trip! 

So it was my quest to find a grocery store that catered to the family with a newborn, and hands down that grocery store is Wegman's in Collegeville right off of Rt. 422.  Before you even get in the store, Wegman's is catering to you by providing designated parking spots for families. The downside is those spots are usually taken.  The upside is these spots are conveniently located near the doors just like the primo handicapped spots cause let's face it, a baby is a kind of handicap to your normal functioning.

Next bonus is the grocery carts!  The two tiered carts are perfect for optimal shopping and baby carrying.  A car seat will nicely fit in the top tier and your groceries will fit in the lower tier.  The carts are wide enough to fit TWO kids in the front (if you decided to have another...I'll let you know what I decide after I forget about the pain of labor.)  

How does Wegman's stack up in my rating department?

Stroller Accessibility:  5  I actually saw people using strollers in Wegman's although, I'm not sure why when the carts were so perfectly designed.

Dirty Diaper Changing 5  This is where Wegman's excels beyond any business other than Ikea (review pending).  Each restroom has a private family restroom complete with baby changing station, toddler seat, and regular toilet.  The whole family can do it's business in privacy.  There are FIVE family restrooms in the store.  You just can't beat that.

Family Friendly Atmosphere:  5  I think the toddler dining area with its miniature tables and chairs says it all.  I saw seven little kids zoned out watching cartoons on the TV that Wegman's provides for their entertainment. 

Nursing Possibilities:  5  I don't tend to think of nursing and grocery shopping being simpatico, but the Timber Room has a fireplace, some really cozy chairs, and a few hidden nooks to manage breastfeeding if you were so inclined.  The other dining areas are large and you have space between diners that affords a certain privacy.  The fact that you can even consider nursing in a grocery store (other than in your car in the parking lot) puts it at the top of the scale.

And if I might sing Wegman's praise just a little more, I also noticed that name brand diapers were a dollar cheaper at here than other local grocery stores.  That gives me one extra dollar to buy the chocolate candy bar, I so rightly deserve after another night of no sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment