Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Story Time at the Phoenixville Library

It took a lot of effort and coordination to get to Baby Story Time this morning at the Phoenixville Library, and I still managed to get there late.  Apparently story time starts at 9:30am sharp.  So I drug myself out of bed a half hour early to shower while the baby was still asleep, then dressed her, fed her, changed her diaper, bundled her up in her bear suit, got her into the car seat, and then into the car, scraped the ice of the windows, and drove the three blocks to the library.  Why didn't I walk, you wonder?  It was 6 degrees outside...I'm not that cruel.  Why does leaving the house require so much work???

So we arrive at the children's reading room and several parents with their babies are gathered in a circle around a woman giving a stunning performance of children's book.  I wondered how all these parents had managed to get there on time given the crazy amount of prep it takes to get a baby out of the house. I unbundled my little bear and plunked down between two babies and their parents.  Callie was obviously the youngest baby there.  Every other baby could sit and crawl unassisted.  Callie could only stare ahead in wonder at the other tiny humans in the room.  My neighboring parents said hello, and we exchanged baby ages. 

If I thought baby story time would just be an animated librarian reading books, I was WRONG. After the book, the librarian passed out streamer wands, and we sang songs and waved our colorful wands.  As if that wasn't stimulating enough, she got out a giant rainbow parachute that the babies could crawl over and under as we again sang songs about it.  At this point I was more than impressed. But it gets better.

She read us one more book, and then we were given egg shakers....yes you heard me, egg shakers.  I really wished Callie could have been able to grab it and shake it.  The other babies were really diggin' the tiny maracas. We segwayed into a scarf song and were each showered with several colorful mesh scarves to play with. After a finishing round of "wheels on the bus" all the babies were nice and tired (Callie zonked out before I even got her back in the car seat).  We packed up, and home we went! It's hard to believe baby story time was only a half hour long...but what a half hour it was! 

I give Phoenixville Library's Baby Story Time a five star rating for being the best darn activity I've done with Callie yet.  I will definitely be back next Monday...on time!

2 comments: