Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: Red Ribbon Consignment Closet

Driving home from the mall last week, I discovered a little shop on Valley Forge Road with strollers out front for sale!  Slamming on the the brakes, I quickly made the turn into the small shopping area.  I was practically licking my lips, ready to sweap up that jogging stroller that had caught my eye.

We were greeted as we walked in the door, by a nice woman who explained the layout of the store.  My husband went to conquer the downstairs, while I roamed the top floor.  There some nice items, but the selection wasn't very big for 9 month old clothes.  The prices weren't that cheap either.  A used Carter's outfit was only a dollar cheaper than what I could have found new.  I was discouraged. 

But wait, there was the stroller!  I quickly made my way to the prize.  It was beautiful...and expensive.  $110 for a used stroller?  Granted, they are expensive new, but I've seen these strollers sell for $60 at the big consignment sales, and I just couldn't in conscience buy it.

I made my way downstairs to meet my husband and see what he had found.  He was eyeing up a shopping cart cover that was $16.  Again, too expensive for used status. But then I had an idea!  If the owner was selling items at high prices, she probably paid good money for consignment items.  I mentally listed through the four bags of clothes and multiple baby gear items I don't use anymore.  Dollar signs chinged in my mental register. 

Did I get to unload my stuff and get lots of money? NO! They only buy items twice a year and the next buying time was in August!!!  So overall, the trip was a bust. Not that the store isn't worth checking out, just don't go expecting to save a lot of money.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review - I've been wanting to check that place out. It does sound pricey, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my kids were younger I used to go there (different owner then) and it was a good alternative. However over the years, I found out that ebay was a much better alternative. If you are looking for used clothing or even new clothing I recommend to check out ebay. It's a great source for children's clothing and you save yourself the stress of a consignment sale. I have bought on ebay for years, mainly children's clothes. The search function for specific items and sizes makes it easy. You can get an email of items you are interested in without looking for hours. There are often deals of Gymboree, Ralph Lauren or other high quality clothes - often they aren't even used, but new. And again and again I buy a dress, a skort or a shirt we liked in a bigger size on ebay that the kids can keep wearing this item after the original one was outgrown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Readers,I am the owner of Red Ribbon Consignment and I would like to clarify a few things for you. First, I look up all items before I price them. Also, on the price tag of the larger items is the average price of what the item is selling for in the store at the time of pricing. Meaning if that particular stroller (for example) is sold in three stores I take the average price and post it, so that you know where I got my price from. Then my price is 50-65% of the price new in stores depending on the condition of the item. After and item has been in my shop for 60 days the price again gets cut in half.Twice a year, I also have a 75% off sale. I take clothing only seasonally, but I take toys, books, DVDs, equipment,etc year round as I have room. If anyone has any questions, please just ask me.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've shopped here multiple times and have found amazing deals. I recently purchased a gorgeous wool coat for my daughter that I KNOW would have cost me at least $60 or more retail. It cost me all of $15, and it was in impeccable condition. And that's just one example of the savings I have found here. I have been able walk out of the store with a bag full of good-quality, gently-used clothing for less than $40. That's a better price than I can find at Target, the quality is better, and I feel good knowing that I'm re-using perfectly good clothing. And if you happen to get in there toward the end of a season, the deals are even more amazing! Definitely worth a few trips.

    The store is always full, so I'm sure she has her intake policies set to reduce crowding in a limited space. They've opened a new store just across the parking lot for women's clothing that I'm sure I'll be frequenting.

    And for the record, I happened upon this site by coincidence- I haven't been requested by anyone to post this review. :)

    ReplyDelete