Sunday, February 27, 2011

Coffee, Tea, Baby?

Sometimes in order to get out of the house, I need to offer myself a reward.  A good cup of coffee will be enough.  So I loaded the baby into the stroller for yet another adventure downtown…this time to Steel City Coffeehouse.  I’ve always loved Steel City, but I think I love it more now under new management.  They threw a new coat of fun colored paints on the walls; rearranged the tables to add more (yet it still seems like there is more room than before); and finally cooked up a new menu that includes my favorite meal: dessert.  The coolest thing about the new menu is that they have Klondike bars now.  I want a photo of my daughter in her bear suit crawling toward the Klondike bar; it would be Facebook worthy.
I digress.  Steel City Coffeehouse also offers musical shows.  I have yet to take a baby to one of these....but I’m considering it (much to the chagrin of fellow concert goers).  If you have taken a baby to one of these shows, please let me know how it went.  I remember it getting pretty packed in there during concerts, I’d like to know if it would be a total disaster to bring my little one. 
Stroller Accessibility   4  There are no stairs to navigate getting into the café; and you can get the stroller up to the counter.  However, you won’t be able to get the stroller past the main aisle, so expect your seating to be more limited.
Dirty Diaper Changing  3 There is no diaper changing station, but you do have two private unisex bathrooms to choose from.  You can throw a changing pad on the floor and get the diaper changed in private.
Family Friendliness  3  There’s a kid’s menu with healthy options, but I haven’t seen a high chair around.  The place attracts a fair amount of teenagers, that could be both good and bad.
Nursing Possibilities  3  There are some comfy seats in the place, but they aren’t really in private places to nurse.  I think I would take a bottle instead. 
Overall, I think Steel City is baby friendly during the day when it’s incredibly mellow in there.  So enjoy your cup of java, my fellow mamas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment