Monday, February 14, 2011

Restaurant Review: The Starr Diner (Formerly the Phoenix Diner)

During my pregnancy I craved a lot of things; one of those was a hamburger.  Not just any burger, but a diner burger.  There are some of you who can appreciate the subtle difference between an authentic diner burger and some fast food patty, or even how a diner burger can be way better than the gourmet flame-kissed burger with all the fixings. Yes, for a girl who grew up on diner food, it’s the only food that would satisfy me during the final trimester.
I would waddle my nine month pregnant butt up to the Starr Diner on Starr St. and feed my cravings on a regular basis.  I ate there right up to the day before my daughter was born. I swear the wait staff expected me to deliver right there in the booth with one hand dipping French fries in ketchup and the other holding my delicious burger! 
I guess you start to develop a bond with the people who saw you at your fattest, so I have continued the tradition of taking my daughter to the diner post-utero.  She’s always a big hit there with other patrons and the staff.  I can’t say enough good things about the place….wait yes I can:
Stroller accessibility: 5   Since we live close enough, we often walk to the Starr Diner (a good way to burn off this baby weight); hence we have a stroller there frequently.  Unlike other restaurants that take the stroller away, we were able to keep it with us at the table. 
Dirty Diaper Changing: 4   I was super pleased to find a nice soft padded diaper changing station in the women’s restroom.  There was not one in the men’s room, however.  But if a guy was brave enough he could easily use the women’s restroom (it’s a one toilet room, easily unisex in a pinch) to change the baby.
Family Friendliness: 5   As I said before I always feel quite welcome there.  They do have a kid’s menu and high chairs.  In fact it was a waitress here who taught us that by putting a wooden high chair upside down, we could fit the car seat carrier on top!
Nursing Possibilities:  3   I’ve never been brave enough to whip out my boob in public yet, and I may never.  There are two strategically placed booths out of public eye where I could see you getting away with it discreetly. 
Hope to see you there!
PS. Since I know at least one of my readers is pregnant, you can make your trip to the diner extra nice by treating yourself to a pedicure at Ethan’s Nails a few doors down afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment