Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Say Cheese!

For Valentine’s Day this year, we had a threesome…I mean we were no longer a just a couple, we had an extra wheel, i.e. our newborn daughter.  So we decided to include her in the day by getting a professional portrait done of her in some very cute Valentine’s day themed outfits.  Those of you who are considering the 3 month old photo shoot, pay close attention. 
I chose JC Penny Portrait Studio only because I had coupons for it.  Honestly, it never occurred to me to research other photographers, and I’m sure there are some good ones out there.  I wasn’t even aware that JC Penny had a portrait studio until I received coupons for it in every baby magazine and free sample that ended up in my mailbox.  I guess the coupon assault worked, because I found myself booked for a noon sitting appointment.
First, let me say the ease of scheduling an appointment was a snap.  You can easily book your appointment online.  The website gives you helpful advice for preparing for a photo shoot with your baby, mainly how to avoid fussiness of the baby by feeding her first, bringing an extra outfit in the case of spit up, and of course, starting with a fresh diaper.  We did all the above. 
We got there early because I wanted to make sure baby was ready to shine.  Our photographer helped us pick out backgrounds that worked with our outfits, scattered the floor with rose petals, and had multiple props for our baby to pose with.  She started with tummy time pictures, which I thought was going to be a disaster, but it actually was good.  I couldn’t believe it when our baby almost rolled for the first time….apparently that happens often at the studio. 
Despite the fact that we woke the baby from a deep car induced nap and she was pretty sleepy, the photographer was a real pro and got her to smile.  That photographer even coaxed the baby into giving her “little stinker” smile which I’ve only seen on rare occasions.  I was very impressed with how well the photographer worked with us quickly (before baby got cranky), yet I didn’t feel rushed.  The photographer was also very imaginative with poses and props.  She had Callie tackling teddy bears, holding roses, and sitting in a red throne. 
The only downside was you have to choose the photos you want at the end of the session. This part does feel rushed because by this time baby is cranky and you have to make big decisions that require money.  All of the pictures we had to choose from were fantastic.  I gave all my coupons to the photographer who helped us choose the best packages available for what we wanted. To be honest, I’m not sure if I did get the best deal.  I put our trust in the photographer to give us the best deal, but that might have been naïve. Somehow I ended up spending way more than I anticipated, even with 40% off and a free 8x10.  Unbeknownst to me I also got signed up for a JC Penny Portrait Membership for $20.  I don’t remember how that happened; it was a whirlwind, baby was fussy, and I was hungry too.  So, my suggestion is to know exactly what package you want PRIOR to getting there and not deviate from the path. 
Overall, the quality of the pictures was great and the photographer was a professional and good with babies.  The only downside was having to pick my pictures immediately (although the photographer was very willing to spend as much time as needed on this part, my rumbling tummy and fussy baby did not allow the same patience).  You do get online access to the photos to order more prints, but beware that a photo sheet is anywhere between $10- $15.  That can add up!  Also, when you go to pick up your photos, they will have printed several more sheets and offer them to you for an additional $20.  It’s soooo evil, because who is going to say no? 

1 comment:

  1. Which Penneys did you go to? I have been to both KOP and Exton and Exton's staff is significantly better (in my opinion) than KOP's. I had a bad experience at KOP and decided to never go back, so tried the one in Exton and was so glad I did. One of their photographers, Tammy, can always get my boys to smile naturally. She's really great.

    And this reminds me I want to take my little guy for pictures since he just turned 2! :-)

    I love your blog! It's very informative and entertaining, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete