Thursday, February 17, 2011

Where Babies Go for Fixing Up the Nursery: IKEA

I’ve always loved IKEA at any stage of my life: single, married, and now as parent.  When I was single twenty-something, I could cheaply furnish my studio apartment at Target prices, but with a touch more class.  As a married 30-something, I could furnish my slightly bigger apartment on a budget since we spent our savings on the wedding.  Now as a parent, I see that IKEA has risen to an awesomeness I had never realized before: they really cater to mommas and babies!  Here’s what I noticed with the new eyes of a parent:
Parking: family spots in the parking lot that are BIGGER (for getting car seats/strollers out) and CLOSER to the store.
Baby Nursing Station: A lockable, private room devoted to nursing your child!  Complete with a comfy chair, a changing table, and extra diapers and wipes in case you forgot!!!!  (yes, that deserves four exclamation points)
Bathrooms with changing tables: also complete with diapers and wipes.  For the smaller kids there are child seats to strap the kids into while you pee.  Note: my husband said the men’s side was fresh out of diapers though. 
Smaland:a FREE supervised play area to leave your potty trained children between 37” – 54” tall for 1½ hours while you shop.”  Awesome!!!
Children’s Section:  Cribs, changing tables, toys, rugs, curtains…you name it, they got it!
Video games in the Living Room area:  Keeps the kids/husbands entertained while you shop.
Stroller accessible: You aren’t stuck to the aisles either. 
Cafeteria: Kid’s Menu is only a $1; and they have high chairs, bibs, and a bottle warmer.  Not to mention a complete play area for older kids. 
Shopping carts:  You don’t need to bring the stroller, they have carts (although I’ve always found IKEA shopping carts to be a bit wiley).
So, are you seeing why IKEA is like the best thing since sliced bread?  The only bad part is getting there (Rt. 476 has always stuck fear into my heart).  I ended up with a couple of finger puppets, a cute lamp for the daughter’s nursery, and a smile on my face for one of the better shopping experiences with child I’ve ever had!  

No comments:

Post a Comment